City of Independence Utilities to resume disconnection of services on past due accounts

  • Share:
November 01, 2018

November 1, 2018
Media contact:
Meghan Lewis, Public Information Officer
(816) 325-7086
City of Independence Utilities to resume disconnection of services on past due accounts

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. – Following a six month moratorium on disconnects after the implementation of the new Utilities Billing System, the City of Independence will resume disconnection of services the week of November 12.  Utilities customers who are past due on their account may receive a phone call or notice on their bill.
“We understand many of our customers had questions following the new billing system implementation and we have worked to answer all of these questions including an independent, external audit of the implementation,” Assistant City Manager and Utilities Director Mark Randall said. “We continue to work with customers who need help on a repayment plan. If you have questions or would like to start a repayment plan, please contact our Customer Service team at (816)325-7930 or”
The City announced the results of the independent external audit, which reviewed the billing system implementation on Sept. 24 during a special study session. Citizens can find a summary of the audit here,
Customers can pay their bills in three ways:
  1. With a debit or credit card by calling our 24 hour access line at (816)325-7378.
  2. With a debit or credit card through the City’s online payment portal at
  3. Or, in person at the Independence Utilities Center located at 17221 E 23rd Street S. or at City Hall, 111 E Maple Avenue. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm.  There is also a night depository box at both of these locations.
Additionally, customers may be eligible for assistance programs. The Independence Rate Assistance Program (IRAP) is available to citizens through a collaboration with the Community Services League. To qualify for this program citizens must:
  • Be at least 60 years old or disabled,
  • Live within the city limits of Independence,
  • Be the head of your household and have electric service with the City of Independence or Kansas City Power and Light,
  • Have a maximum income of all household members no greater than 150% of the poverty level as announced by the Health and Human Services Department,
  • Have resources not exceeding $3,000, excluding your residence and vehicle, and
  • Not own rental property.
Learn more at about IRAP, weatherization and late fee waivers at
If customers have questions about their account or would like to discuss a repayment plan, they can call (816)325-7930, email, or visit our Customer Service representatives in person at 17221 E. 23rd Street S. during business hours.
Meg Lewis, Public Information Officer

Copyright 2015 - All Rights Reserved - Micronet